ME

ME
Just doing my job

Monday, March 29, 2010

Eyes Wide Open

One of my favorite things about going on castings in New York City is getting to see all the studios here. I usually have an idea in my head of what I expect a particular studio to look like, and nine times out of ten, it looks completely different. The two studios I had the pleasure of experiencing last week were BBC Productions and CBS. I understand that I am probably only seeing one office of many when it comes to the bigger companies, but it is still neat to go where the creativity begins, ideas get formed, and then product comes to fruition. And the ironic thing is I get such nerves on my way, but once I step in, I realize they're just people like you and me, doing a job. A fabulous job, of course, but still just a job.


The CBS studio that I had an audition at was in a part of the city I haven't done much exploring in. I took the train to the Columbus Circle area, and the studios themselves were right next to the water. What I found interesting as well as the location was the fact that the area was also home to all the luxury car dealerships. Walking down W. 57th Street, I was surrounded by BMW, Infiniti, Acura and CBS. It was an odd mix, but I liked it all the same. The building that housed the studio where my audition was taped was so cool. It was obvious the building has been kept pretty true to its original design. They had done a fantastic job of upholding the true nostalgia and old school feel, yet was in no way outdated. It is hard for me to describe but it was neat to experience.


The BBC studio, on the other hand, was not at all what I was expecting. It was in a small building, taking up only one floor that I could tell. It looked like a small start up company type of office with low cubicles, about six meeting rooms and the tiniest bathroom I have experienced to date. (And that says something if you've ever been to New York City and used any public restroom). Due to space limitation here, the bathrooms are ridiculously compact, but the BBC studio takes the cake. It was nice, but small. The meeting room my audition was held in was small as well, with an old leather couch across from a long desk where the executive producer and staff member sat. I think I have watched too many films that exploit the entertainment industry, because as soon as I walked into the meeting room and saw the leather couch, I had to stop myself from making a "casting couch" joke.


All in all so far, things are going well. I feel like I am moving in the right direction, and meeting great people in the process. I understand people are here for years, beating the streets and knocking on doors, but I must listen to my heart and my gut and believe that I can make this happen in less than a year. I say dream big. No one can hold me back but me, and I refuse to let myself to that. I want it all, and I want it all now! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment